Wednesday, July 16, 2014

To Read

I love reading. I'm sure that comes as a surprise not because I also love to write. There's something about a new book that is simply wonderful. (And I'm not only talking about the acclaimed new book smell). Of course there are certain books that I could read again and again without growing tired of them. But a new book.... That is an adventure. An adventure that I'd really love to share with you guys. So, I've decided to start a bit of a public reading list. To show you what's on my book queue and what I'm reading now.

showyourwork_9694
First, is Show Your Work by Austin Kleon. The author of the New York Times Best Seller, Steal Like an Artist. I had the pleasure of listening to him talk last night (04.18.14) and getting to speak with him personally for a bit (he also signed my copy of the book)! From what I gather, the basic concept of the book is how to get out of the "lone genius" stereotype and realize that creating art can be a community project. Even if you're the only person creating, sharing can motivate you. It also gives you a sounding  board for new ideas and a safe community where you can have your work critiqued. Now, of course, I haven't read the book but that was just what I gathered after his talk and Q and A. I'll be back with more details once I've finished it!

abravenewworld_9690
The next book I plan on reading is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. It's actually been on my "To Read" list for while. It's a classic dystopian society book that I've finally been able to get my hands on. I've always been a fan of dystopian books like 1984 or even young adult series like Hunger Games, Uglies, the Giver etc. Not to mention I've always loved classic literature. This book just seemed straight up my alley. I'm definitely excited to read it. I, of course we keep you guys updated and write a more in-depth post on it once I've had the pleasure of reading it!

Anyhow, that's what's currently on my "To Read" list. Or at least the first two in the queue (it seems like it goes on forever). If you've read either of these books let me know how you liked them! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment